Saturday, May 24, 2014

Run Jen Run's Pet Peeves #1-4

Recently I started compiling a list of my pet peeves as a runner.  I am not trying to sound grouchy, but actually I am a mean girl so let's bring it.  Today I share with you numbers one through four…


#1

“I’m not a real runner.”
There is no speed or distance or amount of runs per week that “qualifies” you to become a runner.  If you run, you’re a runner.  That is all.


#2

Use bike path etiquette.
There is nothing more annoying than a group of walkers taking up the whole lane.  Come on walkers, single file.  Or at least two walkers side by side max.  And please look behind you before suddenly stopping.  I literally ran into someone recently that decided it was a good idea to stop and tie their shoe.  Equally as annoying are walkers or slower runners traveling in the middle of the bike path.  If I pass you on the left, I’m running in the other lane towards oncoming traffic with bikers glaring at me.  I would try to pass you on the right but there is no room unless I want to go off roading.  Follow the signs: Keep to right except to pass.


#3

Acknowledge your fellow runners.
If you run past me, a friendly little nod is nice.  A smile or a wave is even better.  If you don’t have the energy to do that, I’ll even take eye contact.  You may be suffering but we suffer together.  We’re all out there for different reasons with different goals but we all share a common interest and I believe it is absolutely necessary to at least acknowledge those that are out there pounding the pavement with you.


#4

Yield to pedestrians at the crosswalk.
Not only is it a state law, it's rude!  One of the worst places to cross the street is at a crosswalk in front of the church near my house.  I always have to wait for at least a dozen cars to pass for one to stop.  Even at the bike path where runners are “supposed to run” and there are a ton of signs, cars just don’t stop.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment